FFfAW – Week of 06-14-2016 – Wake Up!

photo-20160613070229521

Standing desolately staring at the wheel on its last spin I was filled with dread at the possible consequences.

My last pennies were on number six black and I needed to win just to afford a bus home.

Around me people urged the ball to fall their way. In my mind was the feeling I had done it again, blown a weeks salary on the wheel that promised so much but preyed on my gullibility.

Walking home that night I knew I had to stop, find a reason other than poverty to bring about a change.

Arriving home I found my house empty. Nothing was there apart from the shell of my home and the stack of bills on the kitchen bench.

She had threatened but I never thought she’d carry through with it.

There was no note, nothing to say my family once lived here apart from the message scrawled on the wall……WAKE UP! DO SOMETHING!

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/fffaw-week-of-06-14-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to FFfAW – Week of 06-14-2016 – Wake Up!

1. luckyjc007 says:

Harsh reality he experienced, but it may have been the very thing he needed to really push himself to change. Hopefully, he can make a change and get his family back. Great story. 🙂

2. Fantastic story! I hope that he does “Wake up” now.

3. Singledust says:

good take on the prompt! he needed to “find a reason besides poverty to bring about change”, that line made me think if all addictions are just about excuses for the real reason which is the addiction itself.

4. Oh dear a very harsh wake up call and the downward spiral might not be over.

5. KL Caley says:

Fantastic Story Michael – what a message! Sometimes it is the harshest ones that shine through. KL ❤

6. I love your spin to the prompt, Michael! I think this man has hit his bottom and hopefully, now he will wake up and make the needed changes to better his life and get his family back. Great story!!

7. Graham Lawrence says:

A sober sombre warning indeed.

8. Hopefully this will be the wake-up call he needed to bring about the change he wanted. Very good take on the prompt.

9. mandibelle16 says:

You cover an important issue in this story. I hope the ‘writings on the wall’ (that was clever) from his wife, will wake up and he will actually see the truth of his situation, find some help, get his life sorted out. Hopefully, he has truly seen the obvious, the danger ‘the writings on the wall.’

10. Very pertinent story. He obviously recognized his weakness in himself. I hope that combined with the message in the empty house he might actually change his ways.

In my mind was the feeling I had done it again, blown a weeks salary on the wheel that promised so much but preyed on my gullibility. Perhaps the waking up has begun.

12. afairymind says:

I hope he manages to turn his life around. Gambling is horrible addiction but he seemed to be on the verge of change even before he discovered his family had left him. Maybe that will give him the impetus he needs to break his habits. Very nicely done, Michael. 🙂

13. athling2001 says:

Nice story, nicely written. It feels like he is at the point when he can get help.

14. I hope that he finds a way to turn things around. Gambling is a horrible addiction.