Moral Mondays: “Say No to Drugs”

moral_mondays_logo

My mother picked me up from rehab.

She knew the way, the routine, the process, the steps I had to take.

I usually lasted a week at best, then the decline started.

I missed the high, the rush, the escape.

She’d find me in a stupor, rolled in foetal position all sorrowful, repentant ready to go through the process again.

So the cycle started. Mum with patience and perseverance never gave up.

She’d visit, plan and get excited about me coming home.

She’d say: “You could have been anything son.”

I’d nod, wonder how long I’d last this time.

Written for: https://moralmondays.wordpress.com/2016/06/12/moral-mondays-say-no-to-drugs/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Moral Mondays: “Say No to Drugs”

1. wildchild47 says:

Addictions – most, in whatever form, are terrible habits to break – some make it – some don’t. Such as it is. Such is life.

Well written Michael 🙂

Thanks Pat yes for some its a never ending struggle and others seem to get on top of it easily….we are all different aren’t we..

• wildchild47 says:

yup …. different …. yet human nature is pretty constant …. and for all our glorious differences we are the same 😉

Yes that is true though for some it seems a big struggle…I keep thinking of Animal Farm…we are all the same but some are more same than others…lol

• wildchild47 says:

True true …. oh my …. Animal Farm …. it’s been a donkey’s age since I read that book!

I always liked it and I’m glad they made some good animated versions of it…..

2. Annette says:

Very well said so true I must say!

3. Lynn Love says:

A very honest depiction of an addicted personality, Michael. Tragic but it happens so often. I do enjoy a Moral Monday – whichever dark alleyway they lead us to 🙂

4. Very sad and very accurate. Heartbreaking.

5. mandibelle16 says:

Sad but such realistic situation. You describe so well how difficult it is for people to kick their drug habbits.

6. Nortina S. says:

This feels so real. I commend the mother for staying at his best and worst and continuing to fight for him. When it comes to addiction, a lot of people — family & friends — don’t always stick around. Another great story!