Photo Challenge #116 – Left In No Mans Land

here_you_are_foreign_by_bubblegun_oo-d4ayzsa

Image: ScarletteDeath on DeviantArt

You left me as you would garbage

Dumped beside the bin.

You ran off

Leaving me in the dirt.

Now I live with the pain

The torment, the destruction

My life in tatters

Not once have you admitted

You violated me, used me,

Left me in confusion.

I woke up not knowing

Why my body was bruised

Cut and scratched

My self penetrated

My clothes pulled above my head

My body exposed for anyone to see

The indignity, the violation

Never once struck you

As something you were responsible for?

Yes we were drunk

Yes I admit to drinking too much

But claiming you didn’t know

What you were doing, is lame

Irresponsible and destructive.

You have left me wandering in no man’s land

From which I will never recover.

I struggle each day with who I am.

For so long I couldn’t sleep

Terrifying memories haunt me

I cannot stand being in the dark.

May you one day my perpetrator

Understand the magnitude of your crime

Accept your role in ruining both our lives.

This response to the image comes from reading “Victim Reads Letter to Her Rapist in Court

Featured on: https://scoutsthoughts.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/victim-reads-letter-to-her-rapist-in-court/

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/photo-challenge-116/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Photo Challenge #116 – Left In No Mans Land

I read Scout’s post. There are no words. What an absolutely courageous young lady!!
    In cases like this, the perpetrator should be permanently branded or tattooed on their forehead for all the world to see for the rest of their lives. The victim is scarred for life in many ways; the guilty should not escape unscathed.

I agree totally Lyn I see she has put up another post tonight about the same trial. Thanks for going to the effort of reading.

• Lyn says:

I read the father’s response, Michael. What a pathetic excuse for a human being; both he and his son.

I haven’t been able to read it yet but that doesn’t surprise at all. About 20 years ago I was involved as a witness to a fatal car accident. The father of the guy who killed another man fought tooth and nail to have his son get off claiming he wasn’t speeding, the man who died was in the wrong, accused us as witnesses of lying, it got very nasty there for a while. But he was convicted thankfully.

• Lyn says:

Jeremiah in the old testament was correct when he wrote… “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?”

2. rosemawrites says:

oh my, Michael. This is just… heartbreaking. But still, beautifully written.

3. maria says:

Oh dear. This is indeed heart-breaking. I feel her rage in every words and it’s saddening to picture her broken soul. 😦 Well written, Michael. This left me with thousand sad sighs.

4. Mandy says:

Michael, you’ve done a remarkable job portraying the thoughts of a rape victim. And because this is the experience of a real person, the young woman I wrote about on my blog, makes it even more chilling.
    Thanks so much for reading the letter she wrote to her rapist, and then interpreting what you thought she must feel about herself. As a rape victim myself, I can tell you , you got it right. Thank you.

5. mandibelle16 says:

This poem portrays the feelings of the girl (the victim well). That letter made my cry and you have captured how wounded and violated she felt, how part of her will never heal because of what that freshman boy did.