Poetics: Open a new door with me – The Door To Tomorrow

il_570xN.274512299

Today’s Poetics, let’s write a poem that reflects the idea of doors.

I hear the knocking

It’s from so far away.

I want to get there

Open it wide

Invite you in,

But right now the door

Weighs heavily on its hinges.

The locks are in place

But I know there is a key.

I turn it slowly, it gives a little

The door creaks

Under apprehension and pressure.

It’s a laborious process

Opening against a lifetime of rust

Letting in not just tomorrow

But you, the light of my life.

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/05/10/poetics-open-a-new-door-with-me/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Poetics: Open a new door with me – The Door To Tomorrow

1. Grace says:

I believe you pretty much capture that moment before we find the key and have the courage to open a door (and take a leap to somewhere) ~ May it bring you light to last a lifetime, smiles ~

Thanks for joining us Michael ~

2. Wonderful when we are finally able to unlock and open doors we closed long ago.

3. wildchild47 says:

Lovely and light, filled with hope and promise 🙂

4. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Opening against a lifetime of rust
    Letting in not just tomorrow
    But you, the light of my life.

I adore these lines ❤
    Beautifully written.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

5. lillian says:

Wonderful response to the prompt! I especially like these lines:

“It’s a laborious process
    Opening against a lifetime of rust
    Letting in not just tomorrow
    But you, the light of my life.”

To allow our vulnerability, that is the test. That lifetime of rust is so very hard to brush away.

6. jillys2016 says:

One of the great things about poetry is what the reader brings to the process and you have marvelously allowed for multiple views of your poem. Thank you for not filling in the entire picture! The transparency of voice adds to the impact of this wonderful piece.

7. whimsygizmo says:

Ah, yes. That “lifetime of rust.” I understand this, so well. A great piece.

8. maria says:

Wow… this speaks a myriad of emotions. Great poem, Michael! I especially love these lines:
    “It’s a laborious process
    Opening against a lifetime of rust
    Letting in not just tomorrow
    But you, the light of my life.”

9. jaybluepoems says:

Ah love… through the heavy apprehension. Beautifully done.

10. kim881 says:

Oh, I like this, Michael. These lines convey that feeling of not knowing what’s behind that door:
    I turn it slowly, it gives a little
    The door creaks
    Under apprehension and pressure.

11. vronlacroix says:

Opening a closed heart is a wonderful thing, and you express it deeply.

12. Lovely. It’s worth taking a chance, a peek, fighting against the rusty hinges, isn’t it?

13. EmoTioNs of hUmans
    BoRn
    heARt..
    SpiRit
    SoUl moVinG
    iN colOrs SpRinG..:)

14. PSC says:

There is an almost dreamlike quality to this poem:
    “But right now the door Weighs heavily on its hinges. The locks are in place But I know there is a key.” . . . and it continues right up to the lovely ending:
    “Opening against a lifetime of rust Letting in not just tomorrow But you, the light of my life.”
    Very nice!