Poetics – Fantasia – When the Weeds Conspire

weeds

On days when I’m not at my best

I feel the urge to step outside

Breath in the air

Look at my garden

Proclaim to every weed: “Today is your day.”

They roam willy-nilly

A law unto themselves.

I have this sense they see me coming

Their roots I’m sure dig a little further in

There’s a rustle among them

For in my mind I hear them conspiring.

The Bathurst Burr arms itself

The nut grass goes a little more nutty

Their take over fantasy world is under threat.

I arrive with cutters, choppers and scrapers

I arrange them like a show of strength

My weapons against their stubbornness.

And they do fight, the burr sticks to me

I find them later on socks, shorts and shirt

My hands are calloused, a thorn or two strikes victory

As I negotiate the tangle of weeds and once proud plants.

By days end I stand triumphant

In my hands the weapons of mass destruction

The garden again is mine.

But I fantasize that deep within the soil

Seedpods containing the weed troops

Are ready and waiting for when I slacken off.

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/04/12/poetics-fantasia/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Poetics – Fantasia – When the Weeds Conspire

1. lillian says:

“weed troops” in the bunkers so to speak 🙂 Love your take on the prompt! I do remember those burrs on my socks, coming in from tromping the fields at our country place, many years ago. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I’m always finding burrs in the dog’s tail or ears. Find them on the recliner too. Can’t figure that one out. Oh yes, of course. the dog sits on my lap. I’m seriously thinking about having cement laid in the backyard…green cement 🙂

3. Yep–take out bad moods on those weeds. I actually enjoy weeding–it’s sort of Zen-like. Most of the time.

4. Grace says:

Such a struggle to contain them ~ I specially like how you describe them:

Proclaim to every weed: “Today is your day.”

They roam willy-nilly

A law unto themselves.

I look forward to fixing up my garden when the snow finally melts ~ Good to see you Michael ~

5. Sanaa Rizvi says:

I absolutely adore this poem 😀

6. whimsygizmo says:

I especially love this:
    “They roam willy-nilly

A law unto themselves.”

7. Bodhirose says:

Oh yeah, they’re waiting alright…they have no respect for us I tell you!

8. “Oh, the backyard battlefield. A good piece of military writing.” She smiled.

“When I am in the garden, battling weeds, planting seeds, or harvesting, I allow only good thoughts to rattle around in my head, sing growing songs, converse, apologize for the rip/zip, and generally type to make it a peaceful experience.” “Oh course sounds meditative and zen like until I get to the part about the bugs I hate . . . “

9. I would like to plant resilient weeds of beauty.. Fortunately our garden is woodland, so I just help the wildflowers along a little… A scythe works wonders…

10. hayesspencer says:

Ahh, but the scythe just makes ’em angry. I swer the weeds sprout up overnight as if they never were dug. I tell them they are welcome everywhere else but they are “lawless”. Enjoyed this very much.

11. kim881 says:

A great reminder to put on my wellies!

12. wildchild47 says:

Oh how I love this – but I am biased! XD

Your appreciation and absolute delving into the essence and spirit of these living things, is tremendous. It speaks to the fantastical – yes – but the mystery? Who are we to “know” the truth behind the mystic reality? And yes, the “battle” – and in the end, who really triumphs?

So many wonderful phrases and images that have absolutely tickled me happy 😀

Definitely a post I will treasure and re-read again and again.

13. lynn__ says:

Definitely a garden conspiracy…arm thyself!

14. This was a fun read. I know nothing of gardening but I’m sure does it take it seriously know exactly how you feel.

15. Ava Hypatia says:

It is so fun to read your piece and know that bad days are perfect for weed killin in your book; definitely enough to fulfill good destruction fantasies…I get it. Did you know your poem is a really good poem to read out loud?

• Well I could say all my poems are written to be read but its fun to know you have read it out loud gives it another dimension doesn’t it…..thanks Ava for stopping by.