Prompt Night Poem – The Clarinet Choir

banner-clarinet

The Music Master rose to his feet

Announced the band would now play

The assembled assembly shuffled in their seats.

There was an air of dread within me,

In other places this meant

Five minutes, seeming a lifetime

Where a group of long haired boys

Would find new and innovative ways

To torture not only their poor instruments

But the collective ears of all enduring their performance.

Instead, a group of boys and girls emerged

Each with a music stand

Each with a wind instrument

Not a drum to be seem

Not a guitar screaming within

To be left in its case.

Rather each took their place

A soft lead in, the beat established

And there flowed the coolest jazz.

I couldn’t believe, this wasn’t normal

Was it?

My first assembly was a shock

I was to be shocked many times

By the sophistication

The love and understanding

These young musicians showed

To their music to their audience

But mostly their dexterity

In producing sounds you could melt into.

Written for: http://www.adashofsunny.com/category/prompt-nights/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Prompt Night Poem – The Clarinet Choir

1. Sanaa Rizvi says:

This is lovely 😀 I can almost picture those boys and girls gearing up for their performance with equal zest and zeal! Beautifully expressed. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights Michael 🙂

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

• My pleasure Sanaa, I have to work out how to be aware of it arriving earlier….I know I am several days late each week…..but this poem is based on what really did happen when I moved to a new school years ago….

2. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Yeah I know I could tell it was 🙂 Thank you so much. I dropped you a quick email 😀

3. I noticed you told Sanaa that this piece was based in real experience. I just felt that it must be when I read it. As a former teacher — and music teacher — it felt very ‘real’ to me.

• Thanks Sandra. I went from a suburban school o an academically selective school, it was like from one extreme to another only the selective school was such a wonderful place in which to work. Thanks again for stopping by.

Love the clarinet and the cello. Magic music.

5. What a wonderful surprise for you… and blessing

6. Jae Rose says:

What a wonderful poem – honest and magical – sometimes it is amazing how young people can take upon ideas and create in a way that maybe adults practice too hard to achieve – and nothing worse than a murdered violin

7. And the tone and mood of your poem reflects the awe and soothing beauty of the event perfectly. I was waiting for the lines speaking of headaches and of wishing for open doors. How pleasing. The ending left me smiling. 🙂

8. I just loved this–smashed expectations in the best possible way. I think this was so good:
    Five minutes, seeming a lifetime

Where a group of long haired boys

Would find new and innovative ways

To torture not only their poor instruments

But the collective ears of all enduring their performance.

9. ghostmmnc says:

This definitely brings me back to those days long ago. I played violin in the orchestra all through school, and those assemblies, the music stands, the audience when we’d do a concert… exactly those same feelings! Wonderful that you could recapture the sights and sounds! 🙂

10. Jamztoma says:

Your amusement is universal. I too feel like that at times when a fresh artist(s) comes on TV to sing live. thanks for sharing.