FFfAW-Week of March 15, 2016 – The Black Dog

photo-20160314112836231

This week’s photo prompt is provided by pixabay.com

“This is no place for you boy. It’s dangerous out there.

One false step and you are no more.

I can’t take you with me today

You wait till I return

I pray to God I do.

I’ll take you home and thank our stars

We made it through another day.”

Two hours later the solder in question stepped on a mine.

The blast ripped through him, it took away his legs, his manhood, his hope.

He lay in agony oblivious to all around him.

He heard the news. Knew his prospects.

Descended into a rightful depression.

His hand was wet; he felt a course tongue against his skin.

The black dog was there, waiting.

The soldier’s thoughts were of home

What would he do?

No was longer a man.

He cried most nights, for himself

For his loss, for the nothing in front of him.

All the while the black dog

Lay there never budging from his side.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/fffaw-week-of-march-15-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to FFfAW-Week of March 15, 2016 – The Black Dog

1. mandibelle16 says:

The picture invites this, but so tragic a story and too true to life. I’m glad the soldier has his dog, perhaps knowing the dog doesn’t care if his legs and more are blown off will help him build a new life for himself. Well written.

2. This is so heartbreaking and also heartwarming. He feels he has nothing left and the dog lets him know he does. Dogs truly are man’s best friend. I loved this, Michael.

3. Shivangi says:

Heartwarming story… what faithfulness, what devotion!

4. samratkel says:

Lovely story and so true of this bond.

5. rosemawrites says:

This story pierces the heart, both with sadness and admiration. Your vivid descriptions make us ‘see’ the scenes you have painted with your words. 🙂

6. Jon Stephens says:

Painful, and true! Dogs really have that kind of loyalty.

7. This is a tragic story, but that the same time it is heartwarming that the dog is there for him.

8. At least he has a special friend to help him through.

Visit Keith’s Ramblings!

9. Lori Carlson says:

Beautifully told, Micheal 🙂

10. gravadee says:

A dog is the symbol of loyalty and friendship. Dogs and dog stories never fail to impress me

11. The tragdey of war. Men come back but always different. At least, his dog would always be the same. I’m sure it will help him heal. Nice write ….
    Isadora 😎

12. A deep and wounded soldier. Thank God for the dog. He could be the key to healing!

13. Cheryl-Lynn says:

Such a sad story, Michael

14. rogershipp says:

With a friend there by his side… he will find his future.