FFfAW Week of 03-08-2016 – The Last Castle

photo-20160307081540191

Image: Louise at The Storyteller’s Abode

My cousin John swore to me that this would be the last castle we would look. I was fed up with castles, steps, stone, dank and dark and most of all guides who bored the life out of me with their monotonous tales of days of yore.

I was at the stage of “Who Cares”. Reluctantly I mounted the steps and trudged upwards. John was in front of me but when I arrived at the top he was nowhere to be seen.

I searched left and right but no sign.

The guide soon had everyone searching. All was in vain.

The afternoon wore on and no John. By days end I was exhausted. I sat and tilted my head against the cold stone. There was movement, the stone moved, a door appeared and there was John looking frantic. He had apparently touched something that opened and when he investigated he was trapped.

For the first time on our trip he was in total agreement with me about this being the last castle.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/03/07/fffaw-week-of-03-08-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to FFfAW Week of 03-08-2016 – The Last Castle

1. Shivangi says:

Atleast he escaped from the trap…. You wove a lovely story. Absolutely gripping!

2. mandibelle16 says:

Wow, thought John was gone for good. He is lucky his friend pushed the same secret panel stone and found him! Great write!

3. any1mark66 says:

Leaning against or touching the walls was warned against if he would have read the sign.

4. Haha! Great story, Michael. Both men are fed up with castles. One because he is bored and the other because he is disappearing into trap doors. 😀

5. rosemawrites says:

Ooooh!!! You made the story thrilling and witty! HA! Atleast he is safe! 😀

6. samratkel says:

Perfect communion of castles and secret passages!! Love this story.

7. Aww…sounds like some ancient walls with secret doors. Glad that John returned. Maybe he had discovered some great artefacts too! Great story! 🙂

8. Nice story. Definitely the last castle. Are there any dungeons on the itinerary I wonder.

9. Jenn says:

My worst nightmare! I hate being trapped. Good story

10. Sonya says:

Haha, glad it turned out alright in the end, but I suppose it turned into an advantage for the narrator. Nicely done!

11. I would definitely be in agreement that it would be the last castle they visited! That would teach him from randomly touching walls and investigating passages 🙂 great story!

12. swritings says:

I wouldn’t like getting trapped in an elevator, not to mention a hidden passage! Nice story! 🙂

13. BarbCT says:

Well done! I couldn’t figure out where you were going until the end.

14. Oliana says:

What an imagination, Michael! Great story!

They’re just giving up…are they nuts? There are adventures to be had here! Go for it boys 🙂

16. afairymind says:

I think getting trapped behind a secret door might put me off visiting castles, too! Either that or it would make then even more appealing… An enjoyable story, Michael. 🙂

17. bikurgurl says:

Surprise for the storyteller – Fantastic Fiction!

18. rogershipp says:

I would love to go on a trip until I became desperate NOT to see another castle… Love that period in history. I do think the ‘being trapped’ would be very scary…. but what a great tale to tell at home!!!