Haibun Monday #8 – In the Terminal

e1d4157505d714e9375f63cc65648c2c

This week the task is: Today, I’d like to invite you to consider one of your own journeys, or even a travel experience you have read about, and use it to develop a new haibun. Maybe you would like to write about a trip that deeply affected you or from which you learnt something new, whether it was to the neighborhood park or to a far-off land.

I’m waiting at the terminal. Nervous folk like me are there all gathered inside away from the winter chill. It’s my first time away from home and across a vast distance. At home the sun is relentless in its heat, the fields brown from the sweltering sun.

Outside winter bites at passers by. Rugged against the cold with heads down, their minds set on faraway places. I am waiting in anticipation of her arrival. No matter the weather she is sunshine to me. Around me others are enjoying the warmth, expectant travellers, eyes set on the exotic, the historic and the new.

A blast of cold washes over us as my companion arrives. The irony of her inherent warmth and winter’s iciness doesn’t escape me. Around me there is a pause in the meditations of my fellow travellers as they huddle against the intruding cold. Looking around she spies me and immediately radiates a welcome.

sitting expecting

winters blast contrast heat

arrival at last

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2016/02/29/haibun-monday-8/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Haibun Monday #8 – In the Terminal

1. There is so much joy in meeting the one we are expecting… I love how you used the contrasts of warmth and heat here…

2. I love your comparison of the cold weather with the warmth of your friend. It is so much easier to “weather the storm” when we are together. Peace, Linda

3. Grace says:

She is sunshine to me….love how warmth of companionship can seep through the winter chill ~ It makes all the difference when the joy and love of your life is arriving 🙂

Have a good week Michael ~

4. Nice contrast in this, Michael, and a perfect description of biting cold weather.

5. Very nice, Michael! Loved the images you painted and the welcoming at the end.

6. thotpurge says:

Oh the warmth of a dear companion to offset the winter chill…what could be better!

7. The winter is no match for a heart that “radiates” such warmth. I found myself extra excited about her arrival, too. 🙂

8. Mandy says:

So very sweet 🙂

9. lynn__ says:

Your haibun radiates a warm anticipation and genuine joy at your reunion!

10. Welcome warmth after waiting: you write it so well. (sorry about the alliteration excess: it’s how my mid works sometimes.)

11. kim881 says:

Your haibun conveyed to me the moment when someone you have been waiting for arrives, bringing a felling of warmth but also carrying with them the chill from outside – there is a particular cold smell that I caught as I read it. Great!

12. Misky says:

I love that feeling of reunion, and you’ve described it so well.

13. Exactly what makes life worth living! Beautiful

14. Exactly what makes life worth living! Beautiful.

15. Oliana says:

What a beautiful haibun, Michael…I love how she brought in warmth from the cold…made me want to be in her place…away from the cold.

16. Bodhirose says:

Love is warming…it is apparent in your lovely haibun. A sweet story, thank you for sharing.

17. Lori Carlson says:

Reblogged this on A Whispered Wind and commented:
    Gorgeous haibun of contrasts!
    Comments are disabled. Please visit Michael’s blog to leave a comment. Thanks!

18. Rays of Sun now..
    Emotions of human
    SpiRit sAme heARt..
    Serotonin
    trust and
    comfort..
    dopamine
    pleasure and
    endorphins
    ease pain..
    Sun we are
    as Sun we Shine…

Human eYes oF Love..
    melt soUless
    icicles of Sunless cold..:)