Haibun Monday #7 – The Plodding Walk

38-field

My haibun/haiku is based on this beautiful quote from mr cummings.

“Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: – you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.”
― E.E. Cummings

I plod, yes that’s what I am doing at this very minute, plodding, head cast down, thoughts on you and your current suffering.

Its early this summers morning and already I feel the days heat gathering momentum, the perspiration forming along my brow from climbing the slightest of rises and avoiding the paths that are overgrown and slowing disappearing from logical sight.

You were distraught when I last saw you, torn between two impossibilities as a new life opened and just as the spring that is around the corner you have been offered a new life, a revitalisation that up until recent days seemed as remote as an ocean voyage.

I ponder this as I walk along the well-worn morning pathways. I hear a ping and see you have written. Words reassuring, filled with the light only you provide me. My step is changed and I skip a little content you are ok that nature has not dealt you to savage a blow.

feeling down and out

early morning summer doubts

stepping freely now

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2016/02/15/haibun-monday-7/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Haibun Monday #7 – The Plodding Walk

1. Mandy says:

Gives me the warm and fuzzies. Nothing short of beautiful, Michael.

2. kim881 says:

I love the way the haiku spins on a sixpence – between down and out and stepping freely now. Your haibun is full of determination.

3. Deb says:

Well, there is a happy ending somewhere waiting to happen. That is a good thing. I love how you captured a lot with so few words.

4. I love how you close your prose with the reassurance in the end… also that you have made it fully contemporary with the inclusion of the mobile pinging… so often poetry tends to only look back in time…

5. “There is a light that shines on” She notes, “I forget the song it comes from, but it sums up your haibun & haiku.”

6. Filled with a realistic hope. I really like the ping from the text message. These details bring this alive!

7. MarinaSofia says:

That’s all it takes at times – a short message from a loved one, to make us feel understood and hopeful once more. A perfect capture of a significant moment – love the contrast between the plodding and the skipping!

8. Grace says:

You took me there with you, walking and wondering what was the decision ~ Then the message that all is well ~ The haiku captures your mood, with the early morning doubts going away as your step becomes lighter ~

Thanks for joining us Michael at Haibun Monday ~ Wishing you a wonderful summer morning ~

9. This is so sweet and beautiful.

10. Use of the 2nd person works so well in this, Michael. Sometimes those pings bring problems. It’s nice when they bring welcome messages.

11. Mary says:

Ah, sometimes as one plods along there comes that welcome ping which perhaps helps turn that plod into a lighter step. I like how your haiku expresses the transition to joy!

12. whimsygizmo says:

Sometimes all it takes to go from despair and worry to joy IS a “ping.” 🙂 Love this.

13. Gabriella says:

The end of your haibun made me smile. I like how you take us from plodding to relief. I am doing fine and hope you are too.

14. It only took that ‘ping’ and your day changed from grey to sunny. So sweet.

15. Humans so versatile
    pings ‘come sweet music
    human touch ‘comes ping..

PingsinGs
    Nature
    adapts alWays..:)

16. Bodhirose says:

Nice to have someone in your life who can lighten your steps with good news about them.