SoCS Jan. 2/16 – pause/paws

socs-badge-2015

“pause/paws.”

I’m not a ‘paws’ person I have to say. I do try; don’t get me wrong I recently spent a week looking after my son’s house and his little dog. A small white fluffy dog called Ted who was always so pleased to be chasing a tennis ball up and down the back yard, sleep and then do it all over again. So I think for my first foray into being a dog person I don’t think we did so bad after all we did both like each other at the end of the week….

Cats are another thing for me. I’m not so keen on them as I see them as predators around where I live decimating the native bird population who obviously taste a whole lot better than the introduced species who thrive.

‘Pause’ on the other hand makes me salivate. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. As a drama teacher I taught my students the value of a pause. It provided so much in performance foremost being it added meaning….a well placed pause was often worth a hundred words, you just can’t get enough of a good pause….

Just think too of the value of pausing a moment to consider something, like the value or otherwise of a post such as this…..pausing is what we do a lot of in life for a whole bunch of good reasons rather than jump in and make some rash decision we stop, pause, see a consequence loom in front of us and then we have time to re-think our strategy.

The humble pause has such value in our lives I think I may embrace it as a New Years resolution for as we know to pause or not to pause, that is the question or is it the answer? I’ll pause a moment and consider….

Written for: http://lindaghill.com/2016/01/01/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-jan-216/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to SoCS Jan. 2/16 – pause/paws

1. LindaGHill says:

I think you’re right: nothing better than a good pause. Glad you made a doggy friend in the end, Michael. 🙂

2. I have to admit, I tend to over use dramatic pauses. Even with written word, I use a lot of ellipsis.

3. Judy Martin says:

I am beginning to realise that I should make a lot more of a good pause! 🙂

4. I like a good pause. It seems to refresh whatever one is doing at the time. A pause is hard to write though….see what I mean? We have both dogs and cats and one thing that would make you like cats better is owners who keep them indoors. Our cats are feral and have not been out in 15 years.

5. Bastet says:

I enjoyed your post very much Micheal, though it did give me a pause your evaluation of cats … although I follow your reasoning, I myself am not a paws person either … nice to visit with maybe but I think not as a permanent companion. Happy New Year Micheal.

6. Mandy says:

What a great post, Michael. Imagine if the whole world paused a little more–would we hold back hurtful words? Would we recognize the consequences of acting too quickly? Would we not go to war so often? I love the idea of taking a pause more often in the new year and will try it myself.

On another note, I’ve allowed myself to pause over your mention of cats, and now I will go ahead and add my two cents worth (though it may not be worth that much). I live in a bird sanctuary, wetland area. Birds birds everywhere. Cats–not so much. Any cat given freedom to go outdoors becomes food for the coyotes. And, as John has suggested, keeping cats indoors keeps their predatory nature controlled. What I have seen here is large birds flying through the air carrying their prey: rabbits and other wildlife, and they have been known to scoop up small dogs, too. I myself hate watching nature take its due course–being prey as well as being predators. Makes me think they are almost like humans 😀 I’m glad you’ve made a friend in Ted!

• Thanks Mandy I appreciate our comment and can see why cats are indoor pets around where you live. Here they roam in and out doors, some owners put collars on their cats with little bells to warn the wildlife. In other places cats are abandoned in the bush and breed there creating a huge feral cat population which threatens the native fauna and in some places has wiped them out. Feral cats are a real problem here.
      Thanks again for your comment and yes Ted and I are best mates.

• Mandy says:

Completely understand your frustration with the cats, Michael. We have our share of feral cats, too. Any animal that creates a problem becomes less popular. 😦

7. Suzanne says:

This is very well written and very thought provoking. I’m with you on the paws too. 🙂

8. Miss Lou says:

I think I could do with more well considered Pause’s..

Also, we’ve got visiting Paws over our place right now. Cat Paws. Kitten Paws really.

Sunscreen is his name, he’s a tortoise shell tabby looking feline. I also despise the way cats kill the local wildlife and kill the bird calls in our yard. So anytime I see Sunscreen at the back door, I get the children to bring it inside so it is not murdering the frill neck lizards in our yard!

The same goes for Cheeseburger (Yes the children named it that), Rhubarb, Big Ginger, Fatty Watty, Farty Kaboomba, Tiny Tina & Tiny Tim.

I think the neighbours have now had their lot desexed now, but it has been nice that the children got to experience a litter of kittens without me having to actually own them.. lol

9. We harbour no pauses on not having paws — allergies and all. We didn’t mind some dog paws who adopted us, but so many dogs are just barkers and yappers.
    Although we chase felines off the place, it’s been hawks that killed (and sometimes ate birds) in our yard, and raccoons getting under the netting over the koi pond, and a great blue hero before the netting. Part of the natural cycle, even if bird feeders and koi ponds make it more like a buffet than predator versus pray.
    I enjoyed your pause/paw, and pause as a concept for 2016 doesn’t give me pause at all.

10. CPP says:

delightful SoCS – and yes, I do believe I too could definitely use “more pause for the cause” [which selfishly needs to be “my cause”] this year – especially when I’m so flaming quick to temper with others who have gone the extra limit to tax my patience because they are dribbling for something to say – in order to fill the silence of my being.

• At least you are aware of your ‘flaming quick temper’ when so many have no idea they are like that, open their mouths without ever thinking of the impact they have on others…..sometimes ‘the silence of your being’ can be an asset not a detriment. It depnds what you can sit quietly with…..Have a good day Pat…

• CPP says:

thanks Michael – for your insightful and generous thoughts – and I hope you had a wonderful day – and that today is even better 🙂

11. KG says:

I have never been good at pauses while talking at least. And sometimes I have made pauses at the wrong times that communicates entirely a different meaning. I should try and correct that 🙂 Glad that you and the paws got along well. (whispers) cats and I don’t go along well with each other.