FFfAW-Week of 10-27-2015 – Fruition.

wpid-photo-20151026125340782

Image: pixabay.com

It was a great moment she thought.

After months of work, rehearsal, worry and anxiety it was finally over.

In her dressing room away from the accolades she received she could relax and gather her thoughts.

She had laboured with a crew and cast who were sceptical at first as to wether or not the play would work but as she explained to them from day one she had a vision of the play and the impact it would make upon an audience.

A play she had painstakingly written over several years detailing her struggle with an eating disorder that at one point threatened her not only her health but also her life.

Tonight it had all come to fruition.

The audience stood, clapped and cheered as she took her bows along with her fellow performers. She knew she had not done this alone and gracefully acknowledged their invaluable contribution.

Now to gather herself, change and enjoy a few drinks with her fellow cast and crew.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/fffaw-week-of-10-27-2015/

This entry was posted in FFFAW, writing challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to FFfAW-Week of 10-27-2015 – Fruition.

1. Fruition, and a large helping of relief, I should think. Good one.

2. Lovely story Michael! I could picture it all so vividly. (It’s a play I would have liked to see. I had a niece that had an eating disorder). Wonderful story!

3. Sonya says:

I like your upbeat take on the gloomy picture. Good stuff!

4. If she is not fully recovered ,the last line could be rather ominous…having to face the prospect of food.

• Thank you Mrs ABCstory, I think its more a case of satisfaction at the play’s success rather than her ‘recovery’ which in many cases is life long…have a good day and thanks for stopping by.

5. Martin Flux says:

It’s a nice story and has tons of detail, but—unless the last line is indeed a hint towards her unsuccessful recovery—I didn’t get any kind of resolution or a twist/punch line. I knew from the beginning that she was going to make it … and she did.

If the last line does contain a twist, then I would maybe make it a tiny bit more obvious. You don’t want people to miss it.

PS: Hope you don’t mind my slightly more open critique.

• Hi Martin, Thanks for you comment.
      I appreciate your thoughts on the ending.
      Eating disorders are not something that necessarily go away. The subject of the play I wrote in 1992 is in her 40’s now and still has issues with eating.
      In this instance I leave it to the reader to conclude whether or not you think she is in recovery or if she is really pleased to play has gone as per her vision of it. Obviously she must be in some control for her to have written and produced the performance so if the question at the end is to spell it out for my audience one way or the other then I am sorry to disappoint. I like to think most of my readers are reasonably intelligent people who read my blog because they are engaged with what I write and who have come to recognise in my writing I don’t give you all the answers but rather want you to use your imagination and reach our own conclusion which I hope demonstrates to you your own engagement.

• Martin Flux says:

Hi Michael. Thank you for clarifying that. I was looking at the story from the point of view of someone who came to your blog for the first time without knowing the background. I am sure that if I had been a long time follower, the message would have been much clearer.

6. Reading this I had a horrid feeling there might be a sting in the tail! Happily there wasn’t. Delightful.

Visit Keith’s Ramblings!

I’m also glad there was no sting in the tail. Words and picture go together fittingly.

8. mandy says:

This is a wonderful survivor story. I loved the line “from day one she had a vision of the play and the impact it would make upon an audience”. As a survivor myself, I know there aren’t always, obvious resolutions to one’s story, or their recovery. But we know we are survivors in that: We live through the worst of it until we can successfully manage it and, this I also know first hand, when we are compelled to share our story through written words, plays, etc., in hopes of helping to raise awareness about what can be a deadly disorder. Thanks so much for sharing one of your past stories about your teaching days, Michael. This student has left a wonderful legacy in that you are still using her story to raise awareness, whether that was your intention here, or not.

• Thank you Mandy, that is such a great comment, having experienced her story and her pain and desolation at times I have an understanding of the will needed to be a survivor. There were times in her life where I sometimes thought I was talking to the walking dead. But she has great strength and a wonderful support network who stood by her and she is as she is today a vibrant and active woman.

9. Graham Lawrence says:

An enjoyable read. I can resonate with the world of the theatre but also of eating disorders. As a nurse I worked for a few years in a specialised unit and know how difficult it can be. It was nice that you stayed upbeat with the prompt (I failed 🙂 )

10. Great story! I can definitely relate to the feeling of exhaustion mixed with satisfaction that accompanies the accomplishment of a big, personal project.

11. mandibelle16 says:

I’m happy your main character has been able to see this play come to fruitation, despite probably still struggling with her eating disorder every day of her life. I think that her work would be important for other girls, woman, and even some men, who struggle with similar issues. Great story.

12. Deb says:

The story seemed so real as I read it and now I know, it is. Thanks for sharing and I’m happy to hear that she is a vibrant and active woman with a wonderful support network. I wish her continued success with her struggles!

13. Good story, Michael. I love this happy ending. Well written. 🙂 — Suzanne