Mondays Finish the Story – July 6th, 2015 – Malicious Topiary

2015-07-06-bw-beacham

Finish the story begins with:  “The barista shook his head. That hedge couldn’t have moved closer overnight. Could it?”

You saw them didn’t you?

He looked frantically round the café. His customers were used to his eccentricities and accepted his outbursts.

He paced from end of the counter to the other. His eyes focused squarely on the topiary across the street.

Occasionally he would check on an order and adjust something on his machine.

But never did his eyes wander.

They’re moving you know he’d say. Yesterday they were a clear inch further back from the road.

I’ve seen the movies he’d say, I’ve seen them come alive and before you know it we are all dead in our beds.

He wiped his brow, as it was obvious he was getting more and more worked up….

That big middle one he’s got it in for me I know, and that little one on the end…gees I don’t know, but I’m sure she’s been winking at me…

Written for: https://mondaysfinishthestory.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/mondays-finish-the-story-july-6th-2015/

This entry was posted in writing challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Mondays Finish the Story – July 6th, 2015 – Malicious Topiary

1. mj6969 says:

*snort*

laughing with glee at this Michael 😀

So well written – great opening phrase to work with and what an image!

You’ve captured the quirkiness of it all so well!

• Thank you MJ it was a lot of fun….it makes me feel good to know I can get a ‘snort’ out of you…lol

• mj6969 says:

There are many times when I read some of your “wilder” posts – that I’m laughing so hard, that, sad to say, it’s a snort festival here to rival a most gracious pig stye XD

• Goodness you should record such things and share them in a post………..I wonder how I might use a snorting laugh as a prompt for the Tale Weaver…..I’m always thinking up new prompt tasks…..

• mj6969 says:

roflmao —- you do come up with such fascinating prompts – it bothers and irks me when I don’t have the time (for many reasons) to actually get to them …. still, I try.

And so, then I’ll keep these thoughts in mind and flash you an email if something so absurd that “snorting” or “banjos” springs to mind XD

• Look forward to it…..if I use it I’ll have to credit you, ok?

• mj6969 says:

no problems – whatever makes you happy 😀

2. Cute story! Poor guy, he’s got a hedge that’s out to get him and one that’s winking at him. LOL!

3. babso2you says:

Loved the winking one at the end…Well done Michael! I do want to read more. See you next week? Flying is involved… Be well my friend! ^..^

4. HumaAq says:

Spooky, what if they actually come to life, lol! Good story

5. DELL CLOVER says:

Sounds like a good Twilight Zone episode.

6. draliman says:

I think this poor guy needs to talk to a specialist… 🙂

7. wingedwind says:

I don’t know but I wish the guy winked at the hedge back. Great story!

8. yolandarenee says:

Soon he’ll be coming into the shop with leaves on his lips, necking with the little one that’s winking, but only if her big brother lets him. LOL This was fun!

9. phylor says:

The Shining, only funnier than scarier.

10. I think I’d be worried about myself if I saw a winking hedge, also one that seemed not to like me. I agree with Alistair that he needs professional help. He’s feeling a bit too close to nature. Good story, Michael, and well done. 🙂 — Suzanne