Literary Saturday Prompt #11 – Final Act

abstract-person

This week’s prompt:

To sleep! perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come.
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark by William Shakespeare.

It was about your escape

From pain and memory

From associations

That kept you awake at night

Gave you cold sweats

Moments of extreme panic.

In death you found your peace

Where dreams could exist

And reality blocked out.

I hope it was worth it for you.

But for me its constant anguish

At you, at me, at the everything

You left me desolate

No warning, no statement,

A friend I thought I was

We could have talked

Sought help for you

But I was not considered

As a player in your final act.

Written for: https://therattlingbones.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/literary-saturday-prompt-11/

This entry was posted in Poetry, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Literary Saturday Prompt #11 – Final Act

1. phylor says:

Suicide is hard for the living to understand. I know. There are always the questions, the what ifs. Those who feel life is bleak enough to end it often don’t show how much they are hurting. I know that too.
    You have captured the after effects of someone leaving your life by their own hand.

2. DELL CLOVER says:

Well written, Michael–I’ve been that desperate too many times, yet God refused to let me come Home, as there was something He had for me to do/give.

3. loricarlson66 says:

Beautifully penned, Michael… as one who has attempted suicide 8 times, I can tell you honestly that at those desperate moments, only pain is felt and known and the desire to end it. No one else is thought of and I know it is hard for those left behind to deal with. Thankfully I am still alive and able to tell my stories to others and hopefully help one other person out there who feels that desperation. Thank you for this lovely poem as a reminder of what could have been. 🙂

• Oh my goodness Lori I had no idea. Should I be sorry? No. I wrote what I saw as a meaning to the prompt. And I am pleased you are here too.

• loricarlson66 says:

Oh no, don’t be sorry! It is good to have these kinds of things out there for people to read… it is a must for the Mental Health community 🙂 And thanks 🙂

• I have to say my own education has been so broadened by being in blog land. One friend blogger is doing the most amazing work in raising awareness about childhood/domestic violence and has a book soon to be published….I learn something new every day….

• loricarlson66 says:

It really is remarkable what we can learn from blog land 🙂 congrats to your friend! That takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I want to eventually work on something to help people who’ve dealt with Narcissists, but well, that is a project for another day 🙂

• You want a case study let me know…lol…..I think that project could take some time and you’d have no trouble gathering stories.
        My friend’s book has generated amazing stories of people she didn’t know were from an abuse background saying they are taking strength from her book to tell their own story. So you never know the benefits of such a project.

• loricarlson66 says:

Definitely let me know when her book comes out… I would love to own and read it. I come from abuse myself, though not physical… mine was emotional abuse from my mother, so I am definitely interested in reading others stories 🙂 yeah, some day I just may begin that project and will let you know when I do… could always use a case study or two 😀

• Here is the link to Mandy’s site Lori.
        Her book should be out in September.

• loricarlson66 says:

Thanks Michael! I look forward to reading her 🙂 Cheers!

• loricarlson66 says:

I’ve pre-ordered the book on Amazon 🙂 thanks again, Michael!

4. Pingback: Compelling Posts — Week of June 15 – June 21 2015 | The Rattling Bones