FFfAW Week of 6-10-2015 – The Fish Tank

wpid-photo-20150604190751019

Image by Sonya O

“I’d like to be

Under the sea

In a….in a…..”

He sits in front of the fish tank, as he does day in and day out. His mind is troubled, he wants so much to remember but there is nothing beyond those few lines.

Yesterday a woman came in, sat opposite him and talked incessantly for hours, or so it seemed.

After she had gone they asked him if he enjoyed his wife’s visit.

For the life of him he can’t place her. He is sure she is not the woman he married.

His wife is much younger, flowing dark hair, perky tits and athletic. He smiles as he recalls her six-pack achieved after weeks of gym work.

No that woman yesterday was not his wife.

He settles back into his chair.

In the tank before him the fish swim by once again.

I’d like to be

Under the sea,

In a…In a……

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/fffaw-week-of-6-10-2015/

This entry was posted in old age, writing challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to FFfAW Week of 6-10-2015 – The Fish Tank

1. a fly-by-wall on a person with dementia, sad, but reality…thanks, Michael 🙂

2. True and so sad about memory. My oldest brother has that disease and had to take an early retirement. He will never get to come home. Most times, he knows me and laughs at my silly jokes, other times he doesn’t know me and it hurts so much, because he always took care of me when we were growing up until I moved. I miss him so much and he is alive.

• Thank you for sharing that connection you have with this disease….I know it is hard when loved ones are so afflicted….you can only be there for him. Thank you for stopping by.

3. tjparis says:

Very moving story. So poignant.

4. mandy says:

So sad when it comes to this. My friend describes her husband the same way- only he stares blankly at the television. Her heart is broken. Well done, Michael.

5. Very sad but realistic story. Well done Joy.

6. A wonderful story that shows what dementia is. It is a terribly sad disease! Michael, in the first paragraph did you mean to say, “His mind is troubled..?”

7. Loretta says:

We’re able to extend life better these days. I hope we can do the same for our minds someday soon. Well written, Michael!

8. phylor says:

My mother died before her dementia had progressed to that point. I was her primary care-giver (time limited by citizenship), and watched the changes. You have captured the stages where the past is more real than the present.
    Her sister died of Alzheimer’s the next year. So much harder to watch. She was still inside there, but rarely did she surface.
    So I feel particularly connected to this story. And, when I think forward, with a very high chance of having dementia due to family history.
    You got inside his mind — so bittersweet and touching.

• Thank you for that comment, so often what I write is from stories from others and what friends relay to me…..I have been lucky that this has not been an issue in my family, so far….

9. mj6969 says:

As so many have said – you have truly expressed the pain and sadness, for all – all involved.
    Well written Michael.

10. Nortina S. says:

I have several relatives suffering from this disease, so this story hit home for me. I think you really captured that lost feeling, the mind trapped in another time period, well. Great job!

11. FleurAG says:

I loved the way you expressed the emotion behind this, painful and bittersweet, and just simply – heart-breaking. Great story.

12. The Voice says:

Nice story. It seems you and I had a similar idea. Well done.

13. mandibelle16 says:

That’s very sad because for him his wife will always be that young fit women, she’ll never age. Time has become something all mixed up in his mind. But it’s a very true story for some people which makes it all the sadder.

14. naturelover says:

I like the creativity of your thoughts here.
    Yes, a poignant story but told beautifully!!!!

15. afairymind says:

Dementia is a horrible thing that strips a person of all the connections to their life. You express this really well. A very sad, poignant story. Well done.

16. married2arod says:

Awww makes me think of the movie The Notebook. I hope he remembers her even for a moment.

17. Sonya says:

Oh so sad and poignant. I really like how you used the song as a signifier for what’s going on – brilliantly done!

18. milliethom says:

A very sad state to be in, but one that befalls many ageing people. I think dementia is something that many of us dread. You wrote this very cleverly and I like the way you repeat the opening lines at the end.

19. Danny James says:

It’s sad that so many people can relate to this terrible disease. Well written.

DJ

20. loricarlson66 says:

I’ve been told with my already failing mind that this may some day be my reality too.. you wrote this so well and really understand the progression of this disease. Beautiful, Michael!

21. Pingback: Compelling Posts — Week of June 29 – July 5 2015 | The Rattling Bones

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )