Poetics : Let’s Write Letters

abstract love letter 1600x1200 wallpaper_www.artwallpaperhi.com_81

Dear Betrice

I guess I should have written

To let you know I am ok.

It’s been so long

Do you even recall my name?

My face?

My love?

I have been journeying

Taken so many less travelled paths

Learned so much about me

Confronted my fears,

Shed buckets of tears.

Did you wonder?

What had become of me?

I needed time

To reflect and ponder

Where I fitted in all this.

To consider my worth

Among you wordsmiths

Conjurers of expression

Designers of inner thought.

Today I venture once again

My toe I dip tentatively

Into this poetic wonder world.

Know I am fine

Still breathing, thinking of you

Curious to know you too

Are still weaving words of magic

Delighting all who venture to your door.

Please reply

Say you are pleased to hear

I am well,

And you are too.

Love always

Sonny.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2015/04/07/poetics-lets-write-letters/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Poetics : Let’s Write Letters

1. This made me think of all the poetry bloggers who were such a part of my early blogging years and with whom I have lost contact. People come and go. I suppose any one of us can only handle so many friends and loved ones.

(At first I thought it was going to be a letter from Dante)

Great letter to a long lost friend, Michael. I need to write to a friend of mine too. We lost contact for about 20 years, then regained it late last year, and lost it again over Christmas and New Year. It’s time 🙂

• It’s so easy to do Lyn….we get busy, our tastes change, family becomes a focus, I too am guilty of such things. A good mate of mine and I didn’t see each other for a lot of years and in the past few years we have made it a regular monthly event to meet and have dinner. We both look forward to it.

3. Gabriella says:

Very nice to see you at dVerse again, Michael! It has indeed been a long time. I saw you took part in many different prompts and challenges. I hope this contributed to shaping and discovering the writer that you are.

• Thank you Gabriella yes it has been a while while I explored and wrote on a whole bunch of different things but I may look again at d’verse, one never knows as I do love writing the stories and letters come into that category.

4. Mary says:

Enjoyed reading your poem, Michael. It had been a while, and know you have been missed. I think many journey one place to another, dip our toes tentatively one place or another & move on. We do like to know we are remembered in some way though by those whose lives touched ours before. A sensitive and thoughtful letter.

5. tamekamullins says:

I echo what Victoria said. I loved this piece because it was a lyrical reminder of the present and the past. Lovely. Well done. I am just getting back to writing more poetry as well. Life’s challenges forced me to step away, but it’s good to be back.

6. RoSy says:

I can’t remember the last time I received a hand-written letter.
    I have gotten hand-written cards / notes / thank yous – but – no letters in years.

7. JackieP says:

We all lose touch with people as our lives and theirs goes on as it does. It’s nice to reach out to long lost friends. Well done Michael.

8. Bryan Ens says:

Nice write. It’s now that in the world of poetry, we might wander for a time, but we can always come back!

9. billgncs says:

this really touched me, very heartfelt, and I am so glad to see you back 🙂

10. MarinaSofia says:

Lovely to see you here again – you’ve been missed! But I hope it won’t be twenty years or more… I’m so drawn to the past, feel incredible loyalty still to old friends, even ones I haven’t seen in years, so this really spoke to me. And very short verses, which keep it from becoming overly sentimental and gushingly lyrical.

11. Prajakta says:

Is this by any chance inspired by your comment over at Linda’s blog? Because it was her post on blogging after death (scheduled post) that set the wheels in my head for this prompt.
    Excellent as always, Michael!

12. Ah now, something we all can relate to…do the ones we left behind still think of us as we do them? Nicely done.

13. C.C. says:

I like this reminder that people can come back into our lives after an absence and we can become reconnected again.

14. ah… made me a bit sad… if someone want’s walk outta your life – you can’t stop them. I had to learn that people come and go; I used to have a bad habit of holding onto people, now I wonder if I am too quick to let go…

15. Abhra says:

Such lovely and affectionate old world charms in your letter. I enjoyed it completely.

16. mandy smith says:

I’m sure we all have someone(s) that we’d like to write that letter to. It takes courage sometimes, especially if you suspect they haven’t thought of you at all. That’s usually our imagination playing tricks, though. Very sweet, Michael.

17. Ah.. so interesting the EWORLD is.. is to live in a place where reality stays here..
    like a fingerprint ever etched of love or not.. the heart.. soul.. and spirit
    is uploaded in a forever of a human soul..
    at least as long as servers hold
    true or not..:)

18. Dusty Writes says:

This tugs the heart, definitely. Well done.

19. Olde world charm. How much we can miss those that stayed and wandered off in our lives. I loved the lines say you are pleased to hear I am well …sad and hopeful. Well done Michael.