Mondays Finish the Story – Jan. 5th, 2015 – Mum

2015-01-05-bw-beacham

Finish the story begins with:   “Silently as the people watched, the black hawk helicopter lifted into the air.”

I looked at my sister, she at me. Together we mouthed the word: Mum?

Our mum was flying the black hawk?

Our mum whose idea of excitement was a night at the bingo, an evening beside the fire knitting.

Our mum who was actively afraid of mice and cockroaches.

Our mum was a chopper pilot?

What started out as a normal morning with mum in the kitchen cooking breakfast had escalated into a mystery beyond our imaginations with the arrival of the chopper in the park beside our house.

Conversations between mum and an officer, a hurried mum saying look after your sister, I’ll be out for a while, then seeing her in flying uniform has left us dumbfounded but even more so when the Officer turned and said: ‘Your mother, she’s top gun.’

I decided mum had a few questions to answer when she returned.

Written for: http://mondaysfinishthestory.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/mondays-finish-the-story-jan-5th-2015/

28 Responses to Mondays Finish the Story – Jan. 5th, 2015 – Mum

1. Yinglan says:

Wow, the mom must be very good at keeping secrets.

2. babso2you says:

Great story! I loved it! Who knew? 🙂 Thanks and stay tuned for next week’s challenge! ^..^

3. mandy says:

Michael, I must have been prime for a chuckle because as soon as I read the second line, “Our mum was flying the black hawk?” I burst out laughing. I truly want more of the story of this family 🙂

4. RoSy says:

Oooohhhh….I’d like to know more about mom too!

5. Well GO MUM! Never too old to learn new things.. Or have secrets. 😊

6. weebluebirdie says:

You’ve been really productive!! I love how you always come through with every prompt – and they vary so much. I think this is my favourite one.

7. Ha.. Seems that mum had a knack for keeping mum… A great cover for a top gun indeed.

8. afairymind says:

Great story. I can’t think of many secrets that would be more surprising than that!

9. draliman says:

It’s always the quiet ones… 🙂

10. Mara Fields says:

I enjoyed the way you laid out the list of things Mum is to her children. (Actively afraid of mice and cockroaches–such a nice detail). That created the wonderfully surprising contrast with her rushing out as pilot. It also gave us a lovely sketch of the child and the things she takes for granted.

11. John Yeo says:

What a lovely description ~Action stations has Mum throwing off the aprons ~ 🙂

12. Enjoyable story Michael. I enjoyed it. Quite a surprise for the children to say the least. Mom has a secret in her past. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne