D’verse Open Link – Alone Again, Naturally.

abstract-photography-08-575x575

A door opened

The small boy thought locked.

Through the gap he saw

A new plan.

Am I,

Can I,

Be brave

He wondered

As he took up his pen.

In a far off country the small boy sat at his desk

Writing words to a far off small girl.

His words spoke of love

Of hope

Of life.

Her words spoke of loneliness

Abandonment

Futility.

What would happen thought the small boy

If I were to meet this small girl of the north?

What would happen thought the small girl

If I were to met this small boy of the south?

She’ll run thought the small boy

He’ll run thought the small girl

I’m unsightly and stayed in my ways thought the small boy

I’m unsightly and stayed in my ways thought the small girl.

Then fate in its wicked twisted way

Stepped in,

And grinning cruelly

Stuffed everything.

The boy put down his pen

Sighed deeply

As Gilbert O’Sullivan

Reminded him his place.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/09/27/open-link-night-september/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to D’verse Open Link – Alone Again, Naturally.

1. brian miller says:

the sadness in this is that at that moment of potentially changing both their directions…their false beliefs about themselves stopped them…and confirmed those false truthes…ack

2. JackieP says:

Now this is so sad Michael. But if fate changed things once, it can change things again. I’ve learned that lesson in life. Nicely written as always.

3. Rallentanda says:

Ha…this poem brought a smile. Nice song too. Fear of rejection seems to be crippling the male psyche. This small boy is obviously not a typical Aussie . They usually just charge in and never take no for an answer until the woman relents. It usually works LOL.

4. scotthastiepoet says:

Lovely fable here that has a very nice tender touch to it – I enjoyed the read – Thank you.. With Best Wishes Scott

5. Polly says:

A tender tale that’s oft repeated in life – poignant and heart-wrenching.

6. Simply told. Well told.

7. Grace says:

How sad that the negative thoughts intervened and that itself, is a choice too ~ I find it fascinating how thoughts, positive and negative, can impact our life choices ~ Have a good weekend Michael & enjoy your lovely season ~

8. claudia says:

oh i wished he would’ve written her and they had met – and both their lives could look much better… so very very sad

9. I think the world is full of stories where simply courage have been lacking… so sad when it happens…. though.

10. Gabriella says:

It is indeed a sad story. Hope there will be a follow up to it with a happier ending.

11. Mary says:

So many stories in life seem to end this way. We always wish it were different, and we say…..”If only….” Well penned, Michael.

12. i have to say..that song by Gilbert Sullivan is the saddest song of all….

When i was alone and ostracized by most everyone else for being different.. it terrified me most to think of losing my mother…

And now..i know..her love..it lives inside of me to be shared instead of held…

So she’ll never die..at least not in my eyes…

What a gift that is..

OF NEVER EVER BEING ALONE..:)

SMILES..YES SMILES…

MY MOTHER GAVE ME THAT..:)

along with laughs….;)

forevermorenow….

• Thank you for your comment. I agree with you about the song, it is the saddest song along with the theme music from Midnight Cowboy which for me is the saddest of all.
      That is a wonderful gift your mother has left you, our parents do stay with us, their love never dies with them.
      Have a good day.

13. ayala says:

So sad, a lovely capture.

Poor little boy; I feel so sorry for him. I knew a little girl just like him. Her mother told her “No!” every time she wanted to write. She continued to remember and listen to her mother’s voice until she was forty. A lovely piece Michael – as always.