D’Verse – A nod to Rilke – Choices

Look at the clock

6.43am

time soon

soon is flexible nowdays

why get up in the cold?

Are you mad?

Out my window a day begins

Students to school

Workers to work

I don’t miss it

My day is mine

I write

I read

I watch

I dig

I sow

I mow

Choices

I like that notion.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/09/04/mtb-guest-post-by-bill-webb-a-nod-to-rilke/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to D’Verse – A nod to Rilke – Choices

1. JackieP says:

Ah, it’s nice to be retired eh Michael?

2. brian miller says:

so, thanks for rubbing it in…i will try and think kind thoughts when the alarm goes off at 530 tomorrow morning…ha….yeah, you give me something to look forward to…one day…maybe…

You gotta love retirement 🙂 I have a book by Rilke somewhere in my bookcase – might even have two.

4. claudia says:

sigh… my alarm goes off at 5.. ugh… i’m not yet there but i can imagine how nice it is to enjoy being the author of your own day..

5. I’m similar but not I guess, confusing? I too have the leisurely mornings, the days when I do not ‘do’, then I ave the days when I do ‘do’ ~ I like it that way ~ choices are a wonderful thing – well written my friend.

6. I love that soon is flexible.. sounds so comforting.. but when all your life is like that..(and the workplace seems to go toward the flexible too)..

7. Pat says:

Retirement sits well with you Michael? then this is a great thing.

I find the days long – and I’m not of retirement age — forced work interruptus – injuries and health issues – and I can say, I miss the paycheck, but not the hassles – as for alarms – chronic pain is mine – so blech to this; BUT the upside —- having the time to chronicle pain in positive ways (hard to believe) through writing and reading blogs 🙂

So, may you have a wonderful day filled with restful release and pleasure 🙂

• Sorry you are afflicted with chronic pain, I know a few bloggers in a similar circumstance and I understand the debilitating nature of it. If writing helps then all power to you Pat. Thanks so much for reading and your generous comment.

8. Polly says:

Love the notion of choices – marvellous 🙂

9. Mary says:

I identify, Michael. I still get up early despite being retired. Actually the early hours of the morning, with the endless day stretching ahead of me, are a favorite time. And yes, choices, ARE nice!

10. Grace says:

It would be good to have choices..lots of them ~ I like the positive way you are dealing with retirement Michael, being content, active and happy ~ I hope to be in your shoes years from now ~

11. I revel in the choices too. 🙂

12. scotthastiepoet says:

Choices speak to life as it is… Good for the prompt for sure… With Best Wishes Scott http://www.scotthastie.com

13. mandy says:

I like that notion, too, Michael 🙂

14. Now you live. Isn’t it wonderful.

15. …time to think and pause to mull over life and …nothing if you so wish…they say it is the dreamers who create the world! Dream on !

16. Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There’s going to be stress in life, but it’s your choice whether you let it affect you or not.

~Valerie Bertinelli

I love this poem. Awesome!

17. Imelda says:

I like the choices you have. They all seem to be life-giving to me. 🙂

18. Bodhirose says:

I like that notion too…nice choices for you. No, don’t ever get up in the cold! :~)

19. Sumana Roy says:

I still have a few more years to be in that space of my own…love the choices…

20. I like that notion too… hard won simplicity is hard to beat.

21. RoSy says:

Well earned too – I’m sure.
    Can’t wait for my day to come. I hope I live to see it. 🙂

22. margaret says:

Sounds wonderful! Simplicity is an extravagance.