Alastair’s Photo Fiction – The Black Hole

17-07-july-21st-2013

It’s a black hole the explorer said.

It sure looks dark in there.

That’s the point of a black hole, its dark, mysterious and black.

But it must go somewhere. I mean it has tracks going into it.

Yes but does it have any coming out?

Now that’s a point.

You see Carstairs I have not become a world famous explorer for making frivolous claims about my discoveries.

No sir of course ou are making sense, of a sort.

Remember Carstairs my discovery could very well change the way we view this bizarre world.

How so sir?

Well those hieroglyphics on the walls probably tell the history of the strange place.

I see.

They could very well contain the secrets to the why and wherefore of the people who live here.

I see.

Watch and learn Carstairs.

Eat at Joes Diner sir, what might that mean?

This entry was posted in Photo Fiction. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Alastair’s Photo Fiction – The Black Hole

1. Ach laughed out loud – I do enjoy your sense of humour SS.

• summerstommy2 says:

Oh RM I’m such a funny person…..thankfully I enjoy this stuff.I have borrowed a line from Tom Stoppard in it though. Do you have a comment about Mr Clements comment about the quotation marks, or rather the lack of?

2. paulmclem says:

Heh. Wondered where that was going. Nice ending. On a technical point it’s interesting that you don’t use any quotes round the dialogue. Is this fairly common in flash?

• summerstommy2 says:

If there are only two people speaking by putting them on a new line you signal a new speaker. I guess the quotation marks should be used but in the style I use it is clear I hope that it is a dialogue being written. Technically I may be wrong but in flash I think it works ok.
      Thanks for your comment and for bring up this point. I am sure there is a grammar pedant out there to put us on the straight and narrow.

• paulmclem says:

I worry about grammar and punctuation a lot. Punctuation in particular is a minefield; just seems so subjective. By the way I wasn’t criticising your piece. Just think WordPress is a good forum for asking questions. Thanks for replying.

• summerstommy2 says:

No I am glad you have asked. I agree with you about punctuation:;:;?? You raise a good point. I may be just taking license with the no punctuation but then again there are novels out there where punctuation is not a consideration.Or I could just be lazy!
        I know I certainly use quotation marks in longer pieces i write because I want to follow convention in that respect. But I think I get away with it in a two person dialogue.

3. misskzebra says:

I was going to go down a similar route to this, London Underground stations always feel older than they actually are.

• summerstommy2 says:

Thanks for the comment. Yes I agree they are full of ‘mystery’ and small reptiles. That was a great idea.

4. Gabriella says:

Great ending! You have made me laugh. I love how one of the guys is so full of himself. Nicely done!

5. Lewis Cave says:

I hope they figure out those hieroglyphics. I am not always successful!

6. zookyworld says:

A funny lead up, and then an even funnier last line. Good stuff!

7. RoSy says:

Ha – We will be history one day…