FFfAW Challenge-Week of October 24, 2017 – Cracks and Joins

photo-20171023154610513

Image: Thanks Dorothy

The monk despite his austere life and dedication to meditation and devotion still possessed a very human trait. He hated stepping on cracks or joins of any kind.

So he found himself in a spot of bother as he went to cross the street for the council had recently upgraded the town’s crossings and he was aware until he arrived at the crossing that there were new joins to contend with.

So with baby step precision he negotiated his way across the street. Such was his concentration as to where he was putting his feet that he failed to see the No 9 bus approaching.

In the next life he found himself in a world full of cracks and joins. In his pocket he found a small slip of paper with the words, “Welcome to the next life. It can be a bugger sometimes.”

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2017/10/23/fffaw-challenge-week-of-october-24-2017/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to FFfAW Challenge-Week of October 24, 2017 – Cracks and Joins

1. Iain Kelly says:

Ha, delightful. Poor monk, I wonder what he did to deserve that! Nicely done.

2. Hahahaha! Poor guy! Can’t even catch a break in the next life! Great story, Michael!

3. James says:

When I was a little kid, we had the saying “step on a crack and you break your mother’s back.” I knew it was nonsense, but sometimes I felt guilty stepping on cracks. Fortunately, my dear mother never suffered.

4. What a ‘cracker’ of a story.

5. yarnspinnerr says:

Certainly a neat take on this prompt. Liked the play of karma you portrayed here.

6. Reena Saxena says:

How I wish we were reborn with messages from the past written somewhere 🙂

7. Nice one – to base your story on those oddly shaped paving slabs was inspired!

Click to read my FFfAW!

8. Varad says:

Haha! That was good. Guess he failed in his final MATs (Monk Acceptance Tests)

9. If you step on the cracks, you’re out. Out of what I never discovered.

10. michael1148humphris says:

Them cracks are a real pain. Great story

11. Fluid Phrase says:

LOL!! Absolutely hilarious. Thank you for a good laugh, Michael!